Are You Prepared?: Bon Appetit’s Thanksgiving Checklist (page 2)
November 10, 2011 12:00 PM
TWO WEEKENDS AHEAD
Saturday, November 12, 2011
- Check that you have all the kitchen equipment necessary to make the turkey and other dishes on the menu.
- Get a head start on biscuits or muffins for the feast by making your own baking mix. Measure the dry ingredients and butter from whatever recipe you’ve chosen and blend until the mixture resembles coarse meal; refrigerate in a sealed plastic bag. When it’s time to bake, there’s no need to bring the mixture to room temperature before adding the eggs and other ingredients.
ONE WEEK AHEAD
Thursday, November 17, 2011
- Check your shopping list and buy nonperishable items.
- If you’re serving pie for dessert, make the crusts now. Prepare the dough, roll it out, and place it in the pie dish (don’t forget to crimp the edges). Put the dish in the freezer. When the dough is completely frozen, wrap the dish tightly with plastic.
ONE WEEKEND AHEAD
Saturday, November 19, 2011
- Go through your assorted flatware, glassware, serving pieces, and table linens to see what you need to dry-clean, press, or shine, and what you will need to buy.
- Bake any breads or rolls now—they will keep for a week in the freezer.
Sunday, November 20, 2010
- It’s time to clean out the fridge. You’ll need storage space in the freezer and fridge for the turkey and the do-ahead dishes.