Are You Prepared?: Bon Appetit’s Thanksgiving Checklist (page 3)
November 10, 2011 12:00 PM
THREE DAYS AHEAD
Monday, November 21, 2011
- Make cranberry sauce or relishes and store in the refrigerator.
- If you’ve gone the frozen turkey route, calculate the defrosting time—you might have to start today.
- If you didn’t already make and freeze turkey stock, do so today.
- Prepare flavored butters (if desired) to serve on rolls (or to dab on mashed potatoes). Store covered in the refrigerator.
- If you’ll be serving ice cream with dessert, scoop it now, arrange on a baking sheet and place in freezer until frozen hard. Transfer ice cream balls to a resealable plastic bag and freeze until needed.
TWO DAYS AHEAD
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
- Thaw frozen pie crusts in the fridge.
- Make soups and store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Prepare salad dressings and store in the refrigerator.
- Polish your silver and set and decorate your dinner table, if possible. Set out all serving pieces and place a Post-It® note in each that indicates which dish it will hold.
ONE DAY AHEAD
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
- Hit the supermarket early in the day to shop for perishables.
- Parboil vegetables such as celery root, rutabagas, carrots and onions in generously salted water. When cool, drain and pat with paper towels. Wrap in dry paper towels and store in a covered container in the fridge.
- Wash and spin-dry salad greens, wrap in paper towels and store in resealable plastic bags in the refrigerator.
- Make pies or other desserts and store according to recipe directions.
- Most important of all: don’t cook dinner tonight. Order in.