Tips & Assistance For Cold Weather
The cold weather is nothing to joke about. Get some tips for keeping warm during extreme low temperatures.
Heat-Up St. Louis provides assistance to those in need. Just call provides assistance to those in need. Call them at 314-241-7668 or visit their website.
If you know of a senior, disabled or needy household with small children is in need of help, you can send them a tip with the person’s name, address, and daytime telephone number. A Heat-Up St. Louis volunteer will follow up with the person the same day.
Click here for Heating Centers.
Here are some tips from the United Way when it comes to keeping warm during extreme low temps:
- Dress in layered clothing and wear some sort of head gear/covering
- Check space heaters for sufficient ventilation and wire condition
- Never place space heaters close to flammable objects, such as drapes or bedding or on top of furniture or near water
- Make sure fireplace flues are working properly
- Check extension cords for breaks or fraying
- Do not use charcoal or gas grills indoors
- Check on your neighbors – especially the elderly
- Keep pets inside
- Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Insulate walls and attic.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows
- Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Insulate any water lines that run along outer walls (water will be less likely to freeze)
- Service snow-removal equipment
- Have chimney and flue inspected
- Install easy-to-read outdoor thermometer
- Prepare your home and car for cold weather – safety kits are available
Laclede Gas also offers some tips for the cold:
- Seal off unused rooms by closing the registers and keeping the doors shut tightly.
- Keep furniture away from heating registers.
- Make sure a clean furnace filter is installed.
- Wash only full loads in the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Clean out the dryer lint trap before each load to improve efficiency.